Monday, April 5, 2010

Some thoughts on moving onward

My husband and I have been living in Singapore for six months. We moved from LA for his job (a sound and visual design engineer working on the Universal Studios theme park going in on Sentosa, the island off of Singapore). In Los Angeles, where we gave birth at home and had an amazingly supportive group of friends I met through the Moms group through our midwives office, our parenting philosophy seemed mainstream. Breastfeeding beyond six months, co-sleeping, tuning into baby's cues and so on. In terms of our families, my family thinks our parenting is genius, while my husband's family thinks they have reason to be concerned (as demonstrated by newspaper articles pasted into emails to my husband).
In Singapore, we are out of the parenting mainstream. Most the island, I suspect parents in the way my husband's family is used to parenting (mostly formula fed, cribs, when a baby cries, instead of picking the baby up, they either rock the stroller or shake a toy in its face). In my six months here, I have met five other women who were still nursing their toddlers. All of them were expats. I think there are two of us who co-sleep.
Not that it matters. I do think people need to do what works for them. Singapore, I imagine, is like most places in that there's a spectrum of people doing everything. I have grown into parenting in that I don't need a approval that I'm doing it right. Fyo is now old enough and an absolute gem; he's the proof that whatever we're doing works (for him). That being said, I'd be lost without having my LA Mom friends and other like minded friends online and on facebook. Community is more important than ever, even if it is no longer my mom's group where we hang out with snacks and our babies on blankets. And now, having grown into parenting, I have met other Mom friends, who I adore and enjoy, and who parent totally different than I do, but who still have very similar values.
Next week, with my husband's job drawing to a close, we move onward to Vietnam. We fly into Ho Chi Minh City. We have no idea how long we'll be there, but we plan on traveling north until we find a nice beach town where Husband can catch up on his sleep. We're looking forward to Vietnam as it's a country, we've both been interested in seeing. We have no idea how long we'll be there, where we'll be going after that or when we're officially going back to the states. I have relatives who hate this and who I think consider us completely irresponsible. I don't talk to them often.
I'm a bit sad to be leaving Singapore (though, I do really hate the weather). It seems that for whatever reason, it takes six months to make good friends. Singapore is also amazingly baby friendly. Most restaurants have baby chairs (high chairs) and even wait staff who are happy to carry your child around the restaurant and show him the kitchen while you enjoy your drink. Because Singapore is so safe, I never worried about my son being kidnapped. The sidewalks and subways are stroller friendly (in most places) unlike other cities in this neck of the woods. And as everyone says, Singapore is clean.
Now that I know we're leaving in just over a week, and that we're leaving for an indefinite period of time, I am a bit overwhelmed in my mind, in terms of all that there is to do just like there is with any move (packing, purging, and so on). I also now realize that I know very little about Vietnam and have little idea of what to expect. Except our only requisite for the place we stop long enough to unpack our suitcase? Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment